In 1801, at the time of the first census Hull had a population of over 22,000 which was a big increase from the 7,500 in 1700. By the standards of the time it was a large town .
The last part of the wall south of the town was demolished.
In 1809 a new dock, the Humber Dock was built and a third dock the Junction Dock was built in 1829.
Hull grew rapidly and many new houses were built in North and South Myton and in Schuloates.
1803, On the night of the 8th of January, a very severe storm visited this locality, and continued with little intermission for three days. The wind blew violently rom the south-east, and was accompanied with very heavy rain. Two sloops were sunk at the entrance of the harbor; part of the end of a house in Parliament Street, and a new ropery on the Humber Bank, were blown down; and several other casualties occurred.
1806, On the 4th of February, a man named George Gowthorpe, of Patrington, sold his wife in the Market Place of Hull, for twenty guineas, and delivered her in a halter to a person named Houseman. From their frequency of late years, the common people have imbibed an opinion that the proceedings are strictly legal, and the bargain binding by law."
1807, On the 6th of January, an exceedingly high tide occurred at Hull, when there were thirty feet one inch of water at the Humber Dock gates.
1809, The 25th of October, was King (George III) jubilee, having entered upon the 50th year of his reign. The demonstrations of affectionate loyalty at Hull were strikingly manifested. There were royal salutes fired from the Citadel; joy bells sent forth their merriest peals; innumerable flags streamed from the houses and shipping; a special service was performed at the parish church; a grand procession of the public bodies, paraded the streets; and banquets and fireworks closed the day. Amidst the general scene of festivity and hilarity, the poor of the town were not forgotten, upwards of £1,100 having been collected for them.
1810, The Myton Improvement Act was obtained; and a life boat was established by subscription at Spurn, the crew to be maintained and regulated by Trinity House.
For several years about this period, it was dangerous to travel after night-fall in this part of the country. That notorious highway man, Snowden Dunhill, of Spaldington Lane, near Howden, and his gang of thieves, were the terror of the district. The daring and extensive depredations of these vagabonds were astonishing, and invested their chief with a mysterious and unenviable fame, such as might attach to the character of the Rob Roy of the East Riding. Dunhill was tried and found guilty at the York March Assizes in 1813, for robbing the granary of Mr. Bernard Clarkson, at Holme, in the East Riding, and sentenced to seven years transportation. There were four other bills of indictment found against him. Having gone through the term of punishment awarded him by the court, he returned to this country, and taking up his residence in Delapole Court, Manor Street, Hull, he re-commenced his old course, and in 1825 he was sentenced to transportation for life, either at Louth or Kirton Sessions. In July, 1827, George, his son, aged 24, was executed at Hobart Town, Van Dieman's Land. He had been transported from Beverley Sessions a few years previously, along with his mother.
Wellington Street, Pier Street and Nelson Street were laid out in 1813.
In 1814, at the end of the " Campaign for the liberties of Europe," when Buonaparte was defeated by the armies of the allied powers, and dethroned, the Bourbons restored, and a general peace was expected, Great Britain rang with the voice of joy and congratulations. At Hull the public feeling was exhibited by the strongest demonstrations on the day set apart for the purpose Wednesday, April the 20th. The bells rang merry peals, royal salutes were fired at the Citadel, the ships were gaily decorated, and in the evening the windows of nearly every house in the town were brilliantly illuminated.
Peace was proclaimed in Hull on the 28rd of June in that year, with much ceremony. A scaffold was erected in the Market-place, in front of the equestrian statue, and from it the Mayor (who was accompanied by the Corporations, clergy, &c, of the town) read the proclamation to an immense crowd. The day was one of very great rejoicings.
1814, a dispensary was opened in Hull where poor people could obtain free medicines. The same year a lunatic asylum was opened.
On the night of Saturday, Oct. 4th (1817,) a fire of an alarming nature took place in the brush and colour manufactory of Mr. Henry Blundell, situated in Hodson-street. In less than three hours the entire of the buildings, except the walls, was destroyed.
1821, King George IV. was crowned in Westminster Hall, July 19th, and the occasion was celebrated here with great ceremony and rejoicing.
1822, Hull streets which had previously been lit by oil lamps began thad gas street lighting from .
In the year 1823 a female shark, eight feet in length, and measuring four feet across the shoulders, was taken alive in the Humber, near the Pottery. It was caught while in the act of making a spring at two children who were washing their feet. The animal was afterwards stuffed and preserved.
August 11th, 1824, Mr. W. W. Sadler, made a balloon ascent from the Citadel and the descent was made in a field near the village of Preston. It is said that the town of Hull on that day contained no less than 60,000 persons. Sad to relate, Mr. Sadler was accidentally killed at Bolton in the following September, by being thrown from the car, by the machine coming in contact with a chimney.
King William IV. was proclaimed here, July 2nd, 1830, from a platform in the Market-place, erected for the accommodation of the Corporation and other official personages. There was, as usual on festive occasions, a procession, an immense multitude, much enthusiasm and royal salutes.
1830, Walker Street, Porter-street, and some other new streets, in Myton, were laid out in this year.
This year eighteen ships were lost at the whale fishery, of which six belonged to Hull. The whole of the crews were saved by other ships, yet many of the men died of fatigue. A large sum of money was raised here for the benefit of the sufferers and their families.
A terrific and most destructive fire occurred at South-end on the evening of March 9th, 1832, when a splendid bonding warehouse was totally destroyed. The building, which was 125 feet long, and (exclusive of cellars) five stories in height, had one end facing towards Queen-street, and the other towards the river Hull, near its junction with the Humber. The amount of property destroyed was calculated at about £20,000.
1835, On July 1st, two fishermen captured alive at Spurn, a fish 60 feet in length, and of 50 tons weight. It was supposed to be a "finner." This extraordinary visitor having swam ashore, or taken rest upon the bank, on the retiring of the tide was unable to extricate itself. It however died on the following morning. The captors purchased the carcase from the lord of the manor on which the fish was caught, and brought it to Hull for exhibition.
1836, A police force was formed and would replace the nigh watchmen who had previously patrolled the streets at night.
1837, Her Majesty Victoria I. was proclaimed here on Monday, the 26th of June. The public bodies of the town and the military of the garrison went in procession through the streets, and the proclamation was made from hustings erected in the Market-place, in front of the equestrian statue of King William.
1838, June 28th, the day of the coronation of Queen Victoria, was celebrated here in the usual style of such occasions. The streets were thronged with inhabitants and strangers from an early hour all in their gayest and best attire, and wearing medals and rosettes of white ribbon; flags, with appropriate mottoes, streamed from great numbers of houses; the bells of the churches sent forth their merry tones; cannons were discharged at intervals; and all gave signs of a general rejoicing worthy of the occasion.
1840, On the 10th of February, the marriage of H. M. Queen Victoria and H. R. H. Prince Albert of Saxe Gotha was celebrated here with great demonstrations of loyalty and attachment to the throne. The day was observed as a general holiday.
In the same year (1st of July), after Oxford attempted to assassinate the Queen by firing two loaded pistols at the royal carriage in which her Majesty was seated, the Mayor of Hull (William Lowthrop, ) presented to the Queen addresses from the town, of congratulation on her happy escape; and on that occasion his worship received the honour of Knighthood.
In consequence of the alarming and disturbed state of the manufacturing districts of Yorkshire and Lancashire, troops and ammunition were forwarded from Hull to Leeds, in August (1842).
1846, There was a great demonstration here on the 22nd of July, to celebrate the passing of Sir Robert Peel's free trade measures. The principal shops in the town were closed, the church bells rang merry peals, and flags, bearing suitable inscriptions, were suspended in various parts of the town.
1846, on the 6th of October, the railway from Hull to Bridlington was opened.
1849, There was a outbreak of cholera on the 10th of August, the total number of cholera and diarrhoea cases was 1,800, one in 43 of the whole population of the town. The greatest mortality compared with the annual average appears to have occurred in the prime of life (from 30 to 35), where the ordinary mortality is very low. Of the above stated number of victims of cholera, 1,738 belonged to the labouring classes, and 122 to the gentry, traders, and well-to-do classes. The localities in which there had been the greatest mortality, were the parts of the borough where the levels were the lowest, and in which, therefore, the hygienic condition, as regards moisture and drainage, might be presumed to be most defective.
In the Cemetery on Spring Bank there is a large obelisk, erected by private contributions, to commemorate this mournful visitation, when, according to the inscription on it, "during the months of July, August, and September, upwards of 2,000 of the inhabitants fell victims to that fearful disease." The inscription, too, states that the remains of 700 of these were deposited near that monument.
On the morning of January 29th, 1850, the Humber was visited by a tide of such extraordinary height, as had been only once exceeded, and but twice during the last sixty years. Many parts of the town were inundated.
1851, In the summersome very violent thunder and rain storms occurred. The rain fell in a deluging manner, accompanied with an immense fall of hailstones, numbers of which were as large as walnuts; and the crash they made upon the glasswork of the houses was truly startling. In about twenty minutes the channels had become torrents; the gully-holes became choked, and some of the streets were inundated! Meantime, the lightning flashed and the thunder roared dreadfully, flash following flash, and peal following peal, almost without intermission; and after the hail and rain had ceased to pour, and the fury of the storm had abated, the lightning and thunder continued. As the evening advanced and darkness prevailed, the flashes, almost every minute, made everything perfectly distinct, and illumined the streets and houses with a lurid glare; and this scene continued till late at night.This storm seems to have been confined to a comparatively narrow course, for whilst on the Yorkshire side of the Humber it was raging terrifically, on the other side all was calm. It made rare work for the glaziers. No less than 226 panes of glass were smashed in the Kingston Chapel, Holderness-road.
1854, At six o'clock on Friday evening, October 13th, the royal train entered the station, and at that moment cannon thundered forth a royal salute, and the military band played "God save the Queen." This was the first royal visit in over 200 years. Read about the visit Here
The Town Hall of Hull, on the 12th of April, 1855, was the scene of one of the most interesting and influential public meetings ever held in this borough, for the purpose of taking into consideration the benefits to be derived from an Industrial Reformatory School for Juvenile Offenders in this district. Afterwards the North and East Ridings of Yorkshire, the city of York, and the borough of Hull, all united in the promotion of an establishment in which the criminal children of the district may, by a systematic course of education, care, and industrial occupation, become useful members of the community. The anxious desire of the committee to commence the work of reformation as soon as possible, was materially promoted by an offer of the noble president to let on lease to the society a farm near Castle Howard, in the neighbourhood of Malton. Arrangements were soon made, and the school (in temporary buildings) was opened in May, 1856 until a new school was built later.
In January 30th, 1857, H.M. 80 gun steam ship "Cornwallis." arrived in the Humber and continued at Hull, as a guard-ship, but chiefly for the purpose of receiving volunteer seamen for the navy; and in connection with her were two or three gun-boats.
The Yorkshire Agricultural Society, met at Hull in 1859. The show ground was behind Coltman Street, having an entrance from the Anlaby Road.
1860, During the last days of the year and the first fortnight or thereabouts of the following year, the amount of ice in the Humber was almost unprecedented; and, as a consequence, the navigation of the river was rendered very difficult, and the Gainsborough and York packets were prevented from plying for about three weeks.
On Sunday, May 19th, 1861, a boy aged about four years, accidentally fell off the Corporation Pier into the Ferry-boat Dock, near the entrance. The tide was running very strongly at the time, and the lad would very soon have been washed away, had not Mr. J. M. Stark, bookseller, Whitefriargate, pulled off his coat and hat, jumped into the water, and succeeded in saving him. There was a great number of people on the pier, who vociferously cheered Mr. Stark's heroic and noble conduct.
1861, His Royal Highness Prince Albert, Consort of the Queen, died on the 14th of December; and the whole nation mourned. The following advertisement was immediately published in Hull.
"The Mayor deeply condoles with his fellow subjects, the inhabitants of this Borough, on the Death of His Royal Highness, The Prince Consort, and suggests to them the propriety of evincing their sympathy with our most gracious Sovereign the Queen upon her bereavement, and their respect for the memory of the deceased Prince, by such signs of Public Mourning as they may deem fit until the day of the interment, and on that day the Mayor relies on the inhabitants closing their places of business during the time of the interment."
1862, The Corporation voted an address of congratulation to her Majesty the Queen, in July, upon the marriage of the Princess Alice with the Prince Louis of Hesse.
1863, 10th of March, was the marriage of His Royal Highness Albert Edward Prince of Wales, and heir to the English throne, to the Princess Alexandra, niece to Frederick VII., King of Denmark.
The town was again startled by the cry of fire very early on the morning of Sunday, April 26th, 1868, when the wind-mill of Mr. G. B. Newton, at Stepney, was gutted. The sails, five in number, the beams of which were 2 feet square and 35 feet long, fell with a tremendous crash. The shock of the fall was clearly felt in the Sculcoates Union Workhouse. The origin of the fire is unknown. The mill was used for the grinding of corn and the manufacture of cattle food. The damage was roughly estimated at £1,000.
In the latter part of July, Mr Bethel Jacobs, of No. 7, Whitefriar-gate, erected in front of his establishment, an Electric Time Ball, a scientific contrivance which, being connected by electric telegraph with the Observatory at Greenwich, indicates the exact moment of noon daily, by the fall of the ball. The instrument was fixed in a glass case above the royal arms which surmount the shop front. Mr. Jacobs is jeweler and silversmith to her Majesty, at Hull. His appointment bears the date of December 27th, 1854.
The first telephone exchange in Hull opened in 1880. . From 1887 there was a volunteer fire brigade. (It became a professional one in 1938).
1887, East Park opened to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee.
1897 Hull became a City.
1899, Electric Trams were introduced on Anlaby Road and Hessle Road and later on other main roads. They carried millions of passengers and enabled large scale development of houses in other parts of the city. They were replaced by the Trolley bus in the 1930's.