1702, Queen Anne (nicknamed Brandy Anne) came to the throne. Despite seventeen pregnancies, Anne died without surviving children and was the last monarch of the House of Stuart. She was succeeded by her second cousin George I of the House of Hanover, who was a descendant of the Stuarts through his maternal grandmother, Elizabeth, daughter of James VI and I.
In the year 1703, Mr. John Ellerker, of Anlaby, was summoned to appear at the Quarter Sessions of the Peace, and bring with him his eldest son, to be shown in the court; which, if he would refuse to do, to be proceeded against according to law, being a Catholic and suspected to have conveyed his son to some " seminary or popish school beyond the seas, to be brought up in the Romeish religion, contrary to the laws of this realm."
1714, George I. ascended the British throne and on the 20th of October his Majesty was crowned, and in honor of the event there were considerable rejoicings at Hull. A sumptuous entertainment took place at the Town Hall, and a quantity of liquor was distributed in the Market-place to the populace.
He only spoke a few words of English and spent most of his time in Hanover because he grew frustrated because he could not control Parliament. He rarely attended meetings with his ministers, and particularly Walpole, who was appointed First Lord of the Treasury, Chancellor of the Exchequer and Leader of the House of Commons.
George quarrelled with his son George (a trait inherited by successive Hanoverian kings) and became increasingly unpopular. He spent more and more time in Hanover where he died of a stroke in 1727.
1715, (11th July) a fire broke out in High-street which burnt a day and a night and destroyed many houses with the damage estimated at £20,000.
1719, Most of the streets were paved with a ridge in the middle instead of a gutter.
1727 George I died of a stroke and his son George II came to the throne.
Walpole's position was threatened when George I died and he and George II clashed over British foreign affairs, especially over policy regarding Austria, but Walpole was ultimately victorious, with his colleague retiring on 15 May 1730. This date is often given as the beginning of Walpole's unofficial tenure as Prime Minister. In the wake of his triumph Walpole was able to conclude the Treaty of Vienna creating the Anglo-Austrian alliance.
1728, Baron Hall and Judge Page held the assizes here, when a man named Patrick was condemned for stealing plate, but he made his escape.
1731, The "Town's Husband," or common officer, was ordered to take care that a "Cucking-stool" should be provided, and conveniently situated at South End for the punishment of scolds and unquiet women. A man named Wardale was executed here this year, for murdering his wife.
A fish " of the whale kind," 46 feet long, was taken in the Humber in this year. It was claimed by the Mayor, as Admiral of the Humber, but for the encouragement of the captors, he ordered one half of the value of the fish to be given to them; and he decreed at the same time, that "for the future " one half of the nett profit of all large fish, and other things that should be taken in the Humber, and which belong to the Admiral, should be given to the captors thereof.
In 1735 the golden statue of King William 1688-1704 was erected in the Market Place.
1739, A midwife died at the age of 67; and by her books it appeared she had ushered into the world 9,789 children, in the course of forty years practice.
1743, early in the morning of the 12th of April, the house of Henry Maister, in High-street, was discovered to be on fire, and a child, and two maid servants, perished in the flames. The lady might have escaped, but she attempted to save the life of her child, and lost her own life.
1746, November the wind blew a hurricane for two days and nights, which surpassed anything in memory, and great damage was done to the shipping in those parts.
1750, August 23rd, about seven o'clock in the morning, a gentle shock of earthquake was felt in Hull, though no noise was heard. It was likewise felt in some of the neighbouring hamlets. Several fiery meteors, or balls of fire, of a reddish hue, were observed during several nights about the same time, shooting through the air. On the 6th of June, 1756, several persons and houses in Robinson-row were injured by a thunder storm.
In 1759 William Wilberforce, who campaigned against slavery was born in Hull.
George II died in 1760 of an aneurysm while seated on his water closet. He had retiring from active politics, William Pitt became Prime Minister during the Seven years war against France which spread to India and North America.
Robert Clive secured the Indian continent for Britain, and General Wolfe captured Quebec in Canada.
1760, George III came to the throne, the Hanovian born grandson of George II.
In 1755 an Act of Parliament had set up a body of men with responsibility for paving, cleaning and lighting the streets of Hull and in 1762 an Act was obtained for the better regulating and lighting the streets of Hull.
1762, The Market-house (which obstructed the Market-place) and some houses behind it, belonging to the Vicar of the parish, were taken down, by which means the Market-place was enlarged, and rendered much more commodious than formerly.
1776, The Marquis of Rockingham became High Steward of Hull and when he died in 1782, his remains were buried in the Cathedral of York with great solemnity.
In 1771 William Wilberforce, after being in the office of Alderman for nearly fifty years, desired leave to resign his gown, that he might pass the remainder of his days in a relaxation from all public business.
1778, On the 19th of August, the last public execution took place at Hull, that of John Eogerson.
1780, William Wilberforce, son of the above-named alderman, was elected M.P. for Hull; and in the same year the inhabitants of this town petitioned the authorities to cause annual assizes to be held at Hull.
1781, King George III. had recovered from a malady which he had suffered for some time nad no town in England testified more joy and loyalty than that of Hull. The Trinity House exhibited, upwards of 700 lamps, forming a superb and magnificent crown and another not less brilliant sparkled over the Custom House.
1782, The Hull Royal Infirmary was opened, being in temporary premises, in George Street. Land in what is now, Prospect Street was found for the erection of a permanent hospital. The site at that time was a half-a-mile from the main town, and it was thought that the patients would, for all time, be in the enjoyment of fresh country air. In 1784, the building, was designed, was completed.
In 1794 assizes were opened in Hull for the last time, on the 31st of July, Mr. Justice Rooke and Mr. Justice Lawrence being the judges. Arrangements were afterwards made for the trial at York of prisoners committed to the assizes here. It was customary to salute the judges when they came to Hull, with the firing of cannon from the battery at the South-end.
In the early part of this year an Act was passed for procuring a supply of men from the several seaports of the kingdom, for the service of the navy. The quota of men to be raised by the port of Hull was 731. On April 7th the Mayor, Aldermen, principal members of Trinity House, with most of the merchants, shipowners, twenty-one Commissioners for executing the Act, the boys of the Trinity House School, with a band of music, and sailors carrying flags, paraded the principal streets of Hull in procession, for the purpose of " beating up for navy volunteers." The volunteers do not appear to have presented themselves very quickly, for up to the middle of November, 1795, the Hull newspapers contained advertisements for "a number of brave fellows " to serve in the navy, "in defence of the British constitution against French perfidy."
During the wars of Bonaparte the system which was carried on of impressing sailors for the Royal Navy, led to many riots here. In those times a vessel of war laid off the Hull Garrison, and was called the Inner Guard-ship, and there was sometimes another, called the Outer Guard-ship, moored in the channel a few miles down the Humber, at Whitebooth roads. The boats of these vessels boarded many of the ships that entered the port, and took off every man that was pressable. There were likewise on shore a couple of officers and twelve men, called the " Press Gang," who prowled about the streets and public houses by day and night, and seized every sailor they could find.
1796 A large sum of money having been raised by subscription, the subscribers obtained an Act of Parliament in for laying out and making a new street from Whitefriar-gate to the south end of Quay-street. The new street was called Parliament-street.
Acts were this year passed for augmenting the militia by 6,000 men, in the several counties in England, for the service of the country; and for augmenting the navy, by raising 15,000 men. The proportion of the militia for the East Riding of Yorkshire (including Hull) was 227; and for the navy, 861 men.
In March, 1797, the Duke of Leeds came to Hull for the purpose of examining the provisional cavalry of this district, when a grand review took place at the Garrison, of the Hull and Cottingham Volunteer, cavalry.
January 31, 1799, died Francis, fifth Duke of Leeds, and his successor in the office of High Steward of Hull was Earl Fitzwilliam. In the Act, passed this year, for reducing the Militia, and increasing the regular forces, the East Riding of Yorkshire, including the town of Hull, was to supply 1,056 men.
During this year the sum of £2,890. was subscribed here for the relief of the poor; as well as £1,570. for the families of sailors detained in Russia.
In the 18th century Hull was, increasingly, an outlet for manufactured goods from the fast growing towns of Yorkshire and goods like tools, grain, foodstuffs and cutlery were exported. Materials for shipbuilding such as timber, hemp, pitch and flax were also imported.
Hull was not a major manufacturing center in the 18th century and the only large scale industry was shipbuilding. There were many whalers operating from Hull. Whales were hunted for their blubber, which was melted to make oil and for whalebone. The port became so congested that a dock was built where ships could load and unload cargoes. It opened in 1778 on the site of Queens Gardens. At that time it stood just North of the town.
In the late 18th and early 19th century the walls around Hull were demolished piecemeal.
There was an industry grinding rapeseed which were ground by windmills or horse mills. The oil was used in making paint and soap.
In the 1790s new houses were built West of the town.