Hull 1400's

It appears that all kinds of merchandise were being sold on the sabbath day; for in 1414 the Mayor issued an order "That no markets shall be held on Sunday, nor any merchandise or goods sold thereon, under the penalty of 6s. 8d. to the seller and 3s. 4d. to the buyer, except, according to ancient custom, from Lammas to Michaelmas; that no butcher sell or expose meat on that day; that no cooks or victuallers shall dress meat except for strangers, and that too before eleven o'clock; that no tradesmen keep their shops open, or sell any goods; nor any vintners or ale sellers deliver or sell ale or wine on the said day, under the aforesaid penalties."

1422, Henry V1 came to the throne.

Henry granted a charter in 1440 that the town was erected into a County, its jurisdiction extending over the towns and parishes of Hessle, North Ferriby, Swanland, West Ella, Kirk Ella, Tranby, Willardby, Wolferton, Anlaby, and the site of the Priory of Haltemprice, a district of about 18 miles in circumference. The same charter constituted Kingston-upon-Hull a corporate town, and granted there should be a Mayor, Sheriff, and twelve Aldermen, who should be Justices of the Peace. The sword and mace was granted to the Mayor, with a cap of maintenance.

1441, Henry sent a letter, dated 24th of August, addressed to the Mayor and Alderman of Hull, to solicit a loan of a certain sum of money, to enable him to prosecute the war. The King's request was generously complied with, but the sum advanced is not recorded. In 1441 it was ordained, by common consent, at the Town Hall, that the Mayor, during his year of office, should not sell ale or wine in his house; that whenever he appeared in public, the sword should be carried before him, and his officers should attend him; that the Sheriff should always attend church and council meetings in his gown, with the mace carried before him, and his officers waiting upon him; and that no Alderman should keep alehouses or taverns, nor disclose what passed in their councils, under heavy penalties.

1443, the town was divided into six wards, each of them goyerned by two Aldermen, and the Mayor presiding as head of the whole. The Aldermen were obliged to reside within their respective wards; and for crimes committed in each of these divisions, the offenders were tried and disposed of by the Aldermen of the ward wherein they had transgressed, and not before the Mayor. The divisions had bars and gates that were shut up every night. These divisions were called, Humber Ward, Austin Ward, Trinity Ward, White Friar Ward, St. Mary's Ward, and North Ward.

The King empowered the magistrates to choose two Coroners one for the town and another for the county. He also granted that, after the decease of the Duke of Exeter (John Holland Henry's nephew) and his son, they might choose an Admiral, whose jurisdiction was to extend over the whole of the county of Kingston-upon-Hull, the village and precincts of Drypool, and all the river Humber; and that no other Admiral of England should have power or authority within his limits. John Holland was admiral of England. His son, Henry died in September 1475.

1448, Henry made a progress into the north, and having passed some days with the Duke of Northumberland at Leckonfield, he honoured Hull with a visit, and was received by the people with the loudest demonstrations of joy and loyal affection; and was entertained by the Corporation for two or three days, with all possible magnificence.

1452 the M. P.'s for Hull were paid 2s. per day each for their services, whilst attending their parliamentary duties. In the same year, candles were one penny per pound and a gallon of ale was three-halfpence.

During the War of the Roses (1455 - 1485), the blood of the people of Hull, who had volunteered in Henry's cause, flowed freely.

1461, Edward IV came to the throne and the town of Hull reluctantly acknowledged him as their Sovereign.

1470, Henry V1 came back on the throne.

1471, Edward IV came back to the throne.

1472, Hull was visited by the plague, which swept off a great number of the inhabitants, and amongst its victims was John Whitfield, the chief magistrate. For four years the disorder seemed to have ceased, but in 1476 it broke out again with increased fury, and John Richardson, the Mayor, was of the number of its victims. Two years afterwards the fatal distemper raged so violently that 1,580 persons died in a short time, and Thomas Alcock, the Mayor, his wife, and all his children, died.

Hull was not affected much by the reign of the next two kings.

1483 - 1485 - Richard III was on the throne.

1485 - 1509 - Henry VII